Sunday 22 March 2015

Il-Kbir!!!!!!!!!!!! (The Big One)

Yes the English translation does not do it justice, well then again neither does the Maltese word. The big one, is just one of the many words, which are used to explain and try to classify people who manage to achieve something or are known to do incredible things, and feats.

Such as;

  • Super hard working.
  • Able to hold in their bodies eternal amounts of alcohol.
  • Party like no one else before them.
  • Generally are nice people.
Other words which continue to this day confound me, are 'il capo', 'l-imkisser', 'l-imfarrak'. All these words which some how have made it in the vocabulary of the generation which I am living in right now. These words have means which have been warped and adapted to suit the needs of the age.

Similar as how the word 'Mazza' which is literally a sledge hammer or hammer if you get the smaller version, if you do a direct translation. Means someone who is exceptionally good looking, or simply knows how to put on a shit ton of make up and make it look as if it is 'natural'. 

Oh my, someone woke on the wrong side of bed this morning. Yes I did I guess, but this is something that has pissed me of terribly, I feel awkward telling someone they look gorgeous or beautiful, because they think I am hitting on them. So instead I need to use a derogatory term, which is demeaning in my eyes but anyway, away from the point.

Why are these words used, to explain someone who is exectional is understandable, and from two years ago, when I started hearing these words I understood that, these were terms reserved to the very few at the top of the food chain. 

Now, either I have reached the top of the top of the food chain, where all the people are worthy of such a title, but honestly when I hear people telling it to each other as if it is some form of compliment, it makes me think. Why are we both complimenting each other with what is supposed to be a special title, if we all are holders of such a title. The title in itself has lost the reason for its existence.

Just a small thought for your day.

With that said, I do believe that almost everyone I hang out with it is super exceptional and unbelievably unique, intelligent and resourceful. Inspirational people, who everyday help me in one way or an other making me grow as a human being.

Happy Sunday people. XD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment