Saturday 5 April 2014

Vote for me, I am awesome!


Its that time of the year again, the university student council elections, the student house and areas are taken over by the two main parties contesting for the council. The two main parties, sorry the only two parties contesting for the election. 

Before we start talking about that, let's talk about what these two parties have just offered us, keeping in mind that I deem myself to be part of the minority that actually cares that the election is going on. As I am a highly involved student myself. I believe I am trying to see both sides of the story as best as possible and continuously ask and inquire about the action plan both will try to follow if they are elected.

Here is what I got. I got pastizzi, I got coffee,I got ice-cream,I got sandwiches. I got people telling me to vote for others based not on how hard working they are or their action plan for next year, but on how good they are and how great they are. Those who ask for the manifesto, we do not get it, because each party is scared the other will take from it, while those few students that care and are waiting for the manifesto to see and be able to make a informed opinion wait empty handed.

And that is the sad part. Only a few tens maybe hundreds of students care, care enough to ask to become informed. The travesty is, more votes are won though the "Vote for X" he is awesome, while Y she is attractive vote for her. Than guess what X has  planned, he is going to try and organise a conference to build on youth empowerment (great idea for those still writing their manifesto, which at this stage I can say are non existent to the public). Or Y will try to open library facilities 24/7 for students during exam time (another great idea.)

No we do not get that, and that is not per se the fault of the parties: it's the fault of the students.The vote of the people who do not care if next year they will end up with out a university, but they care that they are going to get free stuff, pampered and spoilt on the day. A completely consumerist society exists. And the scary part, the scary part is that these are the elite brain power of our society, these students are the countries future, the future leaders of this nation. Managers, directors, teachers, PMs, lawyers, doctors, and all of the other important positions which are obtained by university graduates, who have a significant advantage over those who do not due to their training and experience at university. 



What should the two parties be working on, is this the fact that we need to teach people to think. Use their brains and not their eyes, use their brains and not let others think for them.



Saying this, I am a hypocrite because I accepted the ice-cream, the coffee the pastizzi . I accepted people telling me Vote for me, I am awesome, but when I was asking deeper and inquiring about their work for the future what I got was, it will be available next week. 

The election is next week, the election is next Thursday, in short when am I going to get my manifesto, so I can read and compare and decide. 



No comments:

Post a Comment