Saturday 31 May 2014

The cat and the cigarette.

Recently I have basically been living on campus. All those who know me or have been studying at the university's common room see me here day and night, sleeping on the bean bags or in some corner mumbling the names of a large number of random things in Latin, Greek and sometimes Japanese. (I do like my manga). However, come night I truly awaken, and when people start going home my body kicks in and I become full of energy.

This results in me working mostly at night, and when one is studying, there is tendency to take breaks. So I go walking around the campus, in the moonlight looking at familiar buildings which during the day are dull places of torture, at night become wondrous masterpieces.

Going to the main topic of the day, I had just gone to the loo and decided to take a stroll outside when I saw something that made me stop in my tracks. It was nothing special, nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary. It was just a student sitting at the fountain smoking his cigarette, the moon light catching him from behind thus his features where dark and I could see nothing but the cigarette burning in front of his mouth and his eyes. The eyes, tired, stressed, and at that moment looking at Gigi, the king of the student house who was sitting with all the elegance and arrogance that only a cat can have.

Something at that moment happened, something that will stay in my head. It lasted only a split second and I cursed myself for not having my phone on me to take a picture and thus words will have to do. 
At that moment I saw something which I am not be able to explain clearly but I will try and I will ramble on and on till maybe I feel that I got the message across. I could see the connection between this student, who I still have no idea who it was, and this cat who was sitting down. 

The cat knows of the pain the students are going though and in his small little world where he is the king, the all mighty ruler, he looked at his servant and he let him know he understood the pain. In that split second the student, let’s call him Steve, it sounds about right, Steve saw this affection and he felt understood and he continued to smoke in peace. 
The moment was unfortunately ended by my staring at both Steve and Gigi who both noticed my staring and stared back at me with an inquisitive look which only led me to believe that they had not understood the moment which had passed.

The point of this blog is probably nothing, maybe I just wanted to make a point on the beauty of this university and how little we appreciate the things that happen here because we are always going about our daily routine and never have the time to just take a breath and say, look at this, this is amazing, we are living here. It does not take long, just a split second but that is all that is needed to immortalise a moment in life. If we take just a second to appreciate what we have, we can find things that amuse, inspire or just plain relax us.


Take a second, close your eyes, and look at what is around you and you will find, always find something which was not there and it will be something which can blow your mind to bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment